Friday, September 10, 2010

Hungry Hungry Hippo...I mean Games... (My pick of Book of the Year.)



Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

So...this book... Buy it now.

Look, I don't normally recommend books. Because I like to think that people are smart enough to tell a good book from a great book. To be honest, I didn't think I'd like this either. I picked it up in the 10 to 12 year old section at the local Target. Glanced at the cover, which is NOT the cover up there, its something a little more childish, roamed my eyes over the recommendation from Stephanie Meyer, (The WORST Author in todays publishing world.)...(I mean honestly, if SHE can get published, monkeys with feces-pens and using banana-leafs as paper can get published.)... Okay done... I was skeptical to say the least. I flipped it over, read the blurb which was minimal at best. Then saw Stephen Kings recommendation and thought, *Well that's conflicting...* Then, checked the price, bought it and thank GOD I did.

It's honestly a great read. Captivating, not whiny or self-indulgent. It tells a rather cinematic story and I can't believe it hasn't been noted for the excellence it is. I mean sure it should be classified as YA (Young Adult) fiction. But the story is quite mature and somewhat violent in places.

A quick summary: Katniss Everdeen is a young teenage girl living in a rundown coal mining district. District 12. There were 13 Districts and then The Capitol, after a rebellion years ago, the Capitol destroyed District 13 and as punishment to the rest of the Districts, they created the Hunger Games, where they pick 1 Boy and 1 Girl from each district, stick em in an arena and then tell them go kill each other. Last Wo/Man standing wins a great prize. Katniss goes into it. And we follow her throughout the Hunger Games.

It's a Trilogy and I recently picked up Catching Fire, the second of the series, Picture below...



Again a fantastic addition. The story doesnt slow down as much as you think it would throughout a trilogy. So yeah,

Go Buy this Book NOW!!

It recieves the coveted. Book of the Year award from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment